A few hours ago, Finitor posted this raw video he shot on Staten Island yesterday with an iPhone 5. No audio mixing, no post-processing. Its soundtrack is eerily beautiful, and, in the context of current events, more than a little sad.
best price propecia
Finitor writes: “There’s this unfinished building on Staten Island’s east shore, intended to eventually house an indoor track. When the wind blows strong, the metal strutwork and roof skin resonate to create this haunting music, like something one of those austere [Finnic] composers like Arvo Pärt would produce with a full chamber orchestra. …The building looks over the worst storm-hit parts of SI, and the keening is kind of a soundtrack to the ruin.”
Needless to say, it’s been an incalculably stressful and difficult week for millions of people directly affected by Hurricane Sandy. This is just a series of “How You Can Help” links cobbled together from various trusted sources around the web. Please, by all means, add more in comments if you like.
East Coast and Caribbean comrades, we’re all sending lots of love and warm, dry vibes your way. Please let us know how we can help. Hang in there.
Via MATTHEW BORGATTI and JHAYNE HOLMES:
- Feeding America says that it is working to distribute some thousands of pounds of emergency food to hurricane victims. To donate, you can call 1-800-910-5524 or visit them online here.
- Medicine is also needed, and AmeriCares is working to provide what is needed by those impacted by the storms. Donate here.
- World Vision is distributing flood cleanup kits and personal hygiene items. Donate to them here.
- Save the Children is also out there trying to help relieve families affected by the hurricane. Donate here.
- Samaritan’s Purse needs volunteers. For information how to volunteer, click here.
- Hope for New York needs both volunteers and donations.
If you’re in New Jersey and want to volunteer to help clean up, there is more information available here.
Here is another article on How to Help in the Aftermath, as well as another list of helpful organizations that need support.
NonsenseNYC has also collected together a fine list of people and projects that require aid, many that need actual labour, “not your donations or clicks”. Their latest newsletter began with, “The most important thing to understanding what’s going buying cialis on is to actually go to the areas that need attention. People who need help will not always ask for it, or be able to ask for it. This is a do-it-yourself guide: call or internet if you can, but ultimately just go.”
Here are some of their suggestions…